October 15, 2009

if only I knew

Today my buddy is one.  I can’t believe a whole year has passed.  My buddy is such a great little kid.  He is so easy going and has things that he loves (food) and things that he hates (having his face wiped).  He will flash a huge smile at anyone that catches his eye.  I couldn’t ask for a better baby.

I wish a year ago I knew what I know today.  Down syndrome, while it may have it’s challenging moments, isn’t really a bad thing.  My buddy looks and acts like any other kid.  Sure his tongue may stick out and maybe he can’t stand up yet, but he crawls, laughs, and plays.  He is adorable (perhaps I’m a little biased) and has this magnetism about him.

My buddy will let monkey bear abuse him - in the form of “tickling”, sitting on his lap, and playing peek-a-boo which entails smothering him with a blanket.  He just laughs and pushes her away.  I’m sure some day there will be sibling rivalry, but for now she is the sun to his earth.

I could have saved myself a boatload of heartache if I could have peered into the future.  I spend the most part of every day just kissing and snuggling him and being thankful for him… just the way he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment