January 19, 2010

go forth and multiply?

Lately the question has been on my mind - is our family complete?  I feel quite happy with two children.  I think the number is easy to handle and it’s what I always imagined my family to be.  I don’t want to go through pregnancy or the newborn stage again.  Personally, I am complete.

But does that mean that my family is as well?

I know my buddy will learn more from siblings than any other source.  Does he need more?

I think about monkey bear years from now with the task of caring for aging parents and keeping an eye on my buddy.  Is it fair to have that burden be solely on her?

I want grandchildren.  OK, so it’s a little premature for those thoughts, but all my eggs are in one basket (so to speak).

And lets face the facts.  As my mother-in-law liked to say before I had kids, “You’re not getting any younger.”

How do people make that kind of a decision?  I can barely decide what book to choose for the book club.  Is it worth messing with my sanity now just to possibly improve the long term future?  And there is no guarantee that any child will grow up to be responsible and helpful.

Perhaps I’ll start believing in a higher being and leave the decision to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment