October 18, 2010

gratitude

My buddy is 2.  I can remember the day he was born so vividly.  The first emotion I felt upon hearing the words Down syndrome was heartbreak.  But I think your heart has to break first, because loving a child with Down syndrome makes your heart grow so much larger than you ever thought possible.  It's like the doctor who has to rebreak your leg in order for it to grow straight and strong.

My buddy is a whirlwind - in constant motion destroying everything in his path.  But when he stops and gives you a smile or a hug.  You just melt.  Nothing else exists at that moment.  It's an amazing thing.

We had our Buddy Walk this weekend.  I am so moved with all the people who came out to support our family.  There are moments where living with Down syndrome isn't easy and I know there will be many battles in our future, but with the help of those we surround ourselves with, each battle will be a victory.  I don't have the words to express how much I appreciate each person who touches our life.

Down syndrome has brought so much into my life.  In many ways, I am thankful that my buddy has that extra chromosome because it brings unconditional love.

1 comment:

  1. Elena,

    I was compelled to write this comment to let you know how much I appreciate reading your words. It's been so long that I felt alone in my journey to raising a child with special needs. Your blog really pulled on my heart strings just because your experiences and feelings were similar with mine. Not just that, your son is an October blessing too! He is known to our family as Ethan bear...but he is every joy that I can only imagine in a dream!

    Thank you again for your insight!

    Regards,

    From a mother who too feel fortunate that she is insanely blessed!

    ReplyDelete