November 29, 2012

stepping it up

Lately I have been trying to take things up a notch with my buddy. It can be so easy to let time pass without challenging him to step out of his comfort zone. We have been working on dressing and undressing independently as well as potty training and walking (a little) in a store without running away.

I would love to say that he has risen to the occasion, but resisting would be a more accurate term. He stood in front of a full bubbly bath, really wanting to go in, with his pants halfway off refusing to finish the job. It can be really frustrating, but it can also be rewarding. When he actually gets himself dressed, he looks so proud and excited. For me, I feel the most important thing I can do for him is encourage him to care for himself independently.

Potty training is another story. My buddy is not to be trusted in the bathroom. How am I supposed to make that work? He is not too thrilled about trying and I really have not pushed that hard. I don't think he is able to tell me when he has to go and the thought of taking him into a public bathroom skeeves me out.

My buddy has gotten really good at working for a reward. I've been trying to get a picture for our Christmas card. He actually sat for several pictures when I told him he could play with the iPad for good behavior. I can see little glimpses of maturity and it makes me so excited. I can't wait to do big kid things with him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment