May 8, 2013

suprise

My buddy is all healed from the tonsillectomy and there has been a surprising end result.  He is eating everything.  There were foods before that my buddy wouldn't eat.  Or he might try them and then spit them out without swallowing.  Since he healed, the food is just disappearing.  I am so excited and I just keep throwing new foods at him.

Next week I have kindergarten registration for my buddy.  Then at the end of the month we will have our transition meeting and set up a new IEP.  It doesn't seem real.  How is he old enough to be a kindergartener?  I meet with his current speech teacher who has tested him for apraxia.  She is  going to review the results with me this week before we start the transition process.  I am curious to hear what she has to say.

Whenever I have doubts about my buddy and how he will fit in with his classmates, I am reminded just how likeable he is.  There is a little girl that has been in his preK class for 2 years now.  She is very timid and afraid in new situations and of new people, but she loves my buddy.  We wait outside for the teachers to come and open the door and every day when they see each other, they shout each others name and hug.  Then they spend their time jumping and laughing.

I know there will be children in kindergarten that will be uneasy with my buddy because he doesn't talk and can't do some of the things they can.  I also know there will be children who embrace him for who he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment