March 14, 2016

that kid can't even talk

The other day we were at the park and my buddy was in the sandbox headed for a truck when another boy swooped in a grabbed it. My buddy shouted at him for a minute following him around, but then decided to walk away. As I followed my buddy, I heard the boy laugh to his friends and say, "That kid can't even talk!!"




My heart broke a little. I wanted to say something, but even days later, I don't know what the proper response would have been. We were already walking away and I know my buddy didn't hear him. Even if he did, I don't think he would have cared. I can picture him saying, "Dude. I can talk... YOU just can't understand me."

It's amazing how 2 seconds of life can sit in your gut and fester. It almost makes me forget all the kids who actually know him and like him.




Every day when I pick the kids up from school, at least a handful of kids will go out of their way to say hello to my buddy. Once kids understand who he is, they accept him and even learn to understand him.




Last week when the weather was nice, we stayed after school to play on the playground. One afternoon, when it wasn't too crowded, my buddy had two friends at the playground. They were so amazing with him. They did what he wanted them to do, being so patient when he was getting frustrated. They kept on encouraging him to play with them and never once got upset with him. He talked to them and they understood him. It was perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment