March 20, 2010

1 : 1700

I am in the process of changing my doctor, so I had requested medical records from when my buddy was born.  While flipping through, I notice the lab results from my blood work testing for risks of chromosomal abnormalities.  My risk of having a baby with Trisomy 21 was 1 in 1,700.  

It takes me back to when I was pregnant with monkey bear and I had the same blood work done.  I came back with an increased risk for Trisomy 18 - which is basically deadly for the baby.  None live past the age of one.  So we went ahead with the amnio and endured the excruciating wait.  As it turned out, the baby was fine and we found out it was a girl.  A very good day indeed.

It's amazing the odds for my buddy to come into our life.  I had a 0.06% chance of having a baby with Down syndrome.  I am 5 times more likely to die from falling down.  I don't really believe in a greater being, but I do feel like my buddy was out there looking for us.  He knew we needed him, even if it took us a while to realize that ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment