March 29, 2011

words

Most days I just enjoy my children and don't focus too much on what my buddy can't do.  But lately I can't stop thinking how I wish he could talk.  Sure he's got a couple of words but they aren't all that useful.  I worry that he will go years before really talking. 

Do I need to do more at home with him?  Do I need to increase his speech therapy?  Do I need to find a new therapist?  Is there anything that I can do?  What if there was some other approach I don't know about that could get amazing results?

I know nothing about teaching someone to talk.  Monkey bear talked early and often, although she refused to talk in front of anyone other than me.  My buddy has exceeded my expectations with his walking, climbing and running.  I remember many months just trying to get him to sit up on his own.

We are going to start a picture system with him that will hopefully reduce some of his frustration... but probably not mine.  I want to know what is going on in his head.  He is so funny and does the oddest things.  Monkey bear always asks, "Why does he do that?"  My buddy is the only one that can answer that and he isn't talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment