April 21, 2011

preschool

So I've been concerned about my buddy going to preschool for a while.  OK... more like obsessed.  I think I started about 6 months ago.  He still has 6 months to go before he starts school.  I wasn't sure if I really wanted him to go at all.  I know he is growing and maturing, but to me, he's still a baby.  I feel like I have no choice for his preschool.  For monkey bear we visited lots of schools, chose the one we liked and decided what time of day she would go and how many days a week.

Last week we went to an open house at my buddy's preschool.  It is housed in an elementary school that was beautiful and clean.  The woman who runs the program already had my buddy's paperwork and knew about him.  The classes are small with lots of typical peers and the teachers know sign language. I felt relieved and for the first time, actually excited about this next step.

I think the hardest part will be sending him 5 days a week.  Monkey bear will only be going 3 days a week and she's a year older.  At the same time, it will be so nice not to be his therapist anymore.  The pressure of Birth to 3 with four therapists all expecting me to work with him on a daily basis is a lot.

Next year will bring a lot of changes.  There will be the hustle of getting two kids to two different schools and somehow getting everyone lunch and naps.  And there will be me... letting go... just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment