July 8, 2012

the husband

I'm not sure I have ever mentioned my husband in this blog.  Let's face it, my life revolves around the kids.  But I wanted to take a minute to acknowledge what an amazing Dad they have.  As rara entered our family, he has really stepped up and taken charge of my buddy and monkey bear - making sure they have fun and plenty of big kid time.

When I was 21 years old and my 20 year old boyfriend suggested we get married, all I thought about was how head over heals in love I was.  Never for a minute did I consider what kind of a father he would be or what our lives would be like together.  There were plenty of people who said we were crazy for getting married and I'm sure they thought it would never last. 

We were married within a year of our first date and our crazy marriage began.  Since we were so young and my husband is a wanderer at heart, we moved from place to place.  We lived in Salem MA, West Hollywood CA, Malden MA, Exeter NH, Albany NY only to settle back in CT where we both grew up.  Now, 15 years later, he has an advanced degree and a grown up job and takes care of us all.

I first met him in High School as a punky 15 year old.  He had a mohawk, wore band T-shirts and combat boots.  I wore my brother's Polo shirts with my Gap shorts and Tretorns .  We still are opposites in many ways, but with all our years together and shared history those differences just bring us closer together.

Never would I have imagined that so many years later, he is a fantastic, loving Dad.  When the kids hear the key in the lock, their eyes light up and they go running for the door just to get a hug.  He tells all of us how much he loves us every day.  Even though we are both exhausted and a bit grumpy, I know I can count on him to step it up and be there for his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment