October 22, 2013

win/lose

I don't talk a lot about relationships.  I think each one is unique and what might work for some won't work for another.  There is one universal truth in cohabitation, however.  When one person wants one thing and the other person does not.  Someone wins and someone loses.  Rarely will I say, "No absolutely not."  But I still hope the other person will let me win every time.

This time I lost.  The husband has wanted a dog for as long as we've been married.  I've been enjoying a pet free home for the last couple of years after our cats died.  I'm finally in a place where life is not insane and feels like something I can handle.  So now I have a host of dog related things to suck up some of my much needed 'me time'.  I do take solace in the fact that the dog likes me better than him.  She knows who is Alpha around here!  OK and she's kinda cute too.







I've also been thinking a lot about happiness and how this moment, right here, is life.  Am I making the most of this moment?  Every moment can't be perfect - after all there are laundry and dishes to be done.  But in those free moments... am I choosing to do things that don't really matter to me?  Am I letting my time get sucked away?

So I will put down the iPhone (after I snap a quick picture so I can remember the moment) and we'll play a game of chase.  We'll read that book.  We'll flip upside down and tickle.  I'll carry you around until my back aches.  I'll clap and cheer at the things that excite you just to see your face light up.  I'll let you pick as many leaves as you want and try, so hard, not to hurry you along.






We will go do special things even though it can be so exhausting.  Because those memories are precious.





And then I will read my book.  I'll take a walk - not to lose 5 pounds or stop some jiggle - but to enjoy this world I live in.  Breathe in fresh air.  Appreciate the beauty that can be found everywhere.  Notice the little things.






Then I reserve the right to rot my brain in front of the TV.  Because sometimes it's just what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment