January 29, 2014

my buddy

I have come to realize that I am grateful for Down syndrome.  When my buddy was born, I couldn't imagine a world where Ds would be a good thing.  I mean, over 90% of women who get the prenatal diagnosis choose to abort.  Society tells us it is not something to be excited about.  But society clearly never knew my buddy.

My buddy can be infuriating and it would be fantastic if he would stop throwing half full bowls of Cheerios in milk at me.  But he is a force to be reckoned with.  His spirit is so strong.  My buddy lives in the moment striving - and achieving - happiness.  He lives his life the way he wants and he is always 100% himself no matter the situation he finds himself in.  Of course it would be nice if he would be a slightly better behaved version of himself at school and not plop himself down when he doesn't want to do something.  But that is who he is.


how could you not love a kid who gets himself stuck in a bucket?

On Unified Sports day, he just goes to morning kindergarten.  Then we head back to school in the afternoon to pick up big sis and drop my buddy off for sports.  While we wait for big sis to come into the gym, my buddy goes around to every person, big and small, and shakes their hand giving them a hearty hello.  He thrives in Unified Sports amazing everyone with his ability to make baskets.  I know this ability well.  Ever since he could stand, he would throw toys over the baby gate right into the cat water... every time. 

I used to mourn all the things my buddy will never be.  But recently I realized that I should have celebrated all the worries I no longer need.  I don't need to worry about raising him to respect and be kind to women.  He knows no other way.  It would never occur to him to be hurtful.

I may have to endure a lifetime of him tackling me with bear hugs, but who wouldn't want that?

those are some big shoes to fill

No comments:

Post a Comment