May 3, 2014

Unified Sports Day

Today. Today was a good day. Unified Sports Day. Several different schools came together at Conard High School to celebrate. The weather was beautiful. The kids were amazing. My heart was touched.

Unified Sports is a way for kids of all abilities to come together and play. Today my buddy played basketball, baseball, track, soccer and volleyball. He loved it but, man, was he tired at the end of the day. I was moved by everyone involved - the teachers that gave up a Saturday, Special Olympics, the parents cheering everyone on and the children involved just having fun together.

More than anything, I was impressed by the High School students that volunteered. They were awesome. When we played baseball, there was a group of boys who went above and beyond. One pitched the ball and after the child hit it, the show began. These teenage boys would play fight when they didn't catch the ball or throw the ball wild. Sometimes they bumped into each other all while the child ran around the bases. They kept this up all day - just to entertain our kids and help them succeed in a home run. What big hearts. I had so much fun watching them, I didn't take any pictures!

The day started with opening ceremonies and the national anthem.





Then all the sports - some inside some outside. My buddy took several breaks but played every sport.







The girls aren't feeling great, but they were troopers.









Another incredibly touching moment was at the medal ceremony. My buddy was tired and all done standing. His teammates, all on their own, tried to encourage him. I have no idea what they were saying, but these pictures bring a tear to my eye. I love the kindness of this age.






It really was a beautiful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment