July 13, 2014

never easy

Pretty much every day I am reminded of how far my buddy has come by way of a really cool app called 'Timehop.' It compiles posts from 1 year ago today, 2 years ago, etc. For example, 4 years ago today I wrote: My buddy is not satisfied with just climbing on the couch. He now tries to climb up the back of the couch and from the couch to the side table. I may have to put all my furniture into storage.

I appreciate how I don't have to watch him like a hawk every singe second. He's allowed in the kitchen now. He sometimes will play with his sisters without tackling them down like a line backer. If he's in the right frame of mind he'll even put on his own shoes. All huge things that make my life easier.

That's not to say that life with him is easy. It's rarely easy. Unless he's sitting on his favorite chair playing the iPad (current obsession - old school Transformers cartoons) or somewhere in the house with a bucket of trucks and some cool terrain, I pretty much have to be on guard. And outings. Well, outings are almost always a challenge.

Things start off great. We are having so much fun. Then maybe my buddy is hungry and getting irritable. Perhaps he decides that the splash pad and playground just weren't fun enough and he wants to take his shoes off and jump into the gross lake where the geese are. When the answer to that is no and he is restrained from stepping into the water, he might throw himself down on a pile of goose poop. We switch off who chases my buddy trying to prolong the outing a little longer because the girls are having a lot of fun. Things progress down hill quickly and we head to the car dejectedly.

I did manage to get some photos of the fun times (even though my taking pictures drives my husband insane). Now I can look back and say - Oh that was a fun day. We love the splash pad. For me, the joy on his face - living in that moment - is so worth the rest of the nonsense.







This little one still has to discover the joy of water. As soon as her swim shirt got a little wet she wanted it off. She says, "arms up." Cracks me up every time. Rara only liked the sprinklers when they weren't on.




No fears. We salvaged the outing by stopping for ice cream on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment