September 2, 2014

little things

For some reason, I can handle the big things. But those little things. They really get to me. My buddy is the Star of the Week at school. I'm excited that he was chosen first and I think his teacher does an amazing job of involving him as well as making the other kids excited that he is their classmate. But at the same time, I hate it.

There were a series of questions that he came home with Friday for us to answer together and send into school along with some mementos, photos etc. The questions were easy... if you are a typical kid. Favorite color, food, hobby, family members, pets, favorite place to visit, friends, what you want to be when you grow up, etc.

First off, my buddy can't answer an open ended question. Secondly, I don't know who his friends are at school or if he has any. Thirdly, what he is going to be when he grows up worries me constantly. Fourthish his only hobby is playing Angry Birds on the iPad.

So big sis and I came up with some choices for each answer and asked him to choose one. Sometimes he did and sometimes he didn't. I reviewed the answers with him before school and sent in a Signing Time DVD - I figure he can sign better than any kid in his class!

Today he refused to walk to the gym for parent pick-up which turned out to be a good thing. I was able to see his teacher who told me he loved being Star of the Week and was great in front of the class talking the best he could and pantomiming the rest. The whole class watched the DVD and she wants to keep it for a few weeks so they can watch it again and make sure they learned some of the signs.

I was feeling better, relieved that he participated the best he could and not feeling like a parent failure that I actually put down his hobby was playing Angry Birds. Then I got the daily email that goes out to all the parents of his classmates and saw that all of my buddy's answers were included in it. Great.


Keepin' it real: in the rocking chair, feet up, lapdesk on, playing some Angry Birds.


In other news, the hubby will be gone more of September than he will be home, but he cut out of work early today for a little surprise quality time. The way she looks at him melts my heart. And the way she says, "No, Daddy do," if I try and do anything for her when he is home.





Big sis has been reluctant to do art projects lately. But when she gets her creative juices flowing awesome things always result.





No comments:

Post a Comment